Fluids

Fluids

Fluent geometry adaption issues

• vedama
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm following up on a question I'd asked on my feed by mistake instead of here (https://community.ansys.com/?status%2F38737-38737-1658803739%2F#comment.3087.126871.126871) that Keyur Kanade responded with "Fluent will not capture geometry curvature as it does not have geometry curvature information. It works on existing mesh."

The manual seems to suggest otherwise when you look up the geometry adaption Theory Guide (screenshots below). I'm trying to understand how what I'm doing is different from what I've been reading. I have a background fine mesh. Nodes are supposed to be projected to get towards the background mesh, as suggested. What am I missing? How do I ensure curvature information is passed on to Fluent?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

As mentioned before, Fluent will not capture geometry curvature as it does not have geometry curvature information. It works on existing mesh. The image in documentation is representative. We will inform documentation team about this. 

Regards,

Keyur

How to access Ansys Online Help Document

Guidelines on the Student Community

• vedama
      Subscriber

So the information in the documentation is incorrect? This particular part of the documentation has been up since Fluent version 2019...

There is nothing I can do to accurately depict the curvature of the geometry through the adaption mechanism?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Yes, this particular image is incorrect in documentation. To capture curvature accurately, you will need to go back to geometry and meshing. 

Regards,

Keyur

• vedama
        Subscriber

So if I have a fluent solution marked with certain cells for adaption, how do I import that to meshing to perform adaption with ANSYS meshing?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

You need to start from geometry and not mesh. The mesh has already lost curvature information. 

Regards,

Keyur

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.