Fluids

Fluids

Fluent iteration doesn’t start

• jFroh
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm new to Fluent and I'm currently working on a packed bed, multiphase gas-liquid Fischer Trospch reactor in Fluent (species and energy enabled, laminar model). I've created the mesh and set up the simulation (using a UDF to model the reactions as hetergoneous reactions, 15 reactions in total) with all boundary conditions defined.

After initializing the solution, I tried to start the calculation, but Fluent doesn't start the iteration and doesn't give an error message either. I don't know why this is and would be very grateful if someone has an idea what could be the problem.

The mesh I've created has this size:

Level   Cells   Faces      Nodes   Partitions

0    135874    316351    48708       1

3 cell zones, 16 face zones.

Thank you for any help!

• RK
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

Can you please click on "Check Case" and see if there are any recommendations? 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      very interesting: new to Fluent but using UDF for Fischer Tropsch. What does case check tell? How does the run task page look?
    • jFroh
      Subscriber

Thanks for your replies, I get two messages from phase check:

1) Boundaries and cell zones: Non-zero operating pressure set. This will be added to gauge pressure inputs.

My operating pressure is 101325 Pa.

2) Materials: Assign individual fluid Cps to polynomial functions of temperature.

I defined the cp as constant, which might not be correct but I don't think that this prevents the calculation from starting to run.

I attached a picture of my run task page. I wasn't sure how many interations are reasonable so I chose 1000.

Thanks for your time!

And yes, I'm working on a project that requires the use of a UDF to implement the kinetic model I'd like to use. I'm basing this on a paper that corresponds to the topic.

• jFroh
      Subscriber

Update: I was able to find the mistake, it was in the code of the UDF. Now the iteration starts but detects a floating point exception after a few iterations. If I'm unable to find a solution to that, I'll post here again.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Perfect! Please then create a new thread for that.

• Tim Weber
      Subscriber

Hi, I have the same issue. When I press calculate it just stays at 0% and never proceeds. I does not give me any error message and if I perform check case, all is good it says.

I want to perform a transient calculation. The last message is updating solution at tim levl N...done. then nothing.

At the end I have to forcefully shut-down fluent because it gets stuck without even starting

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.