Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Fluent meshing shared topology

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

Hello everyone!!!

I am trying to simulate a 3D Vertical Axis Wind turbine using Fluent. With the introduction of Fluent meshing which helps generate a mesh with very good quality with a good control over the quality of the mesh, I decided to adopt this. But, as we know that, to generate the a volume mesh we cannot have self intersecting elements in the surface mesh. To overcome this fluent advises to use the share topology at the geometry level. This essentially converts the two "interface" faces into a single face and when moving to the Fluent solving environment it gets converted to an interior region.

Since in the case setup that follows there is no mesh interface option, how can I be sure that the simulation is correct.

Is this a right approach to solve MRF problems??

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Yes, you are correct. However, you should be able to split the mesh and create the necessary interfaces for your simulation in Fluent using TUI commands.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Karthik

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

Dear Kremella,

Could you elaborate on the methodology for the same.

I was under the assumption that the problem of self intersecting elements can be solved only if we apply share topology, which converts the two overlapping faces into one. And an interface option cannot be applied to a single face.

Essentially even if we create a manual interface between two fluid-fluid surface, it creates an interior region. Similarly the Fluent meshing also converts the fluid-fluid surfaces to an interior region. Then should I convert it back to an interface in the Fluent Solution environment??

Hence, when we use share topology at the geometry level and import CAD to fluent as a single part, how to split and make the interface, without the problem of self intersecting elements. Please let me know the procedure.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

If you are using sliding mesh approach then you will need non conformal mesh. So you will need to define interfaces. So you will need to have two faces at the intersection. 

I have not seen your case. But if you have only one face at intersection in Fluent and you want two faces then quick workaround is - 

1. Read file in Fluent. 

2. Delete fluid-1 and write case file which will have only fluid-2. 

3. Read file again. 

4. Delete fluid-2. So file will have only fluid-1. 

5. Now read case file with fluid-2. 

This is quick way around. There are some TUI commands in Fluent which you can find in help manual. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

Dear kkanade,

I have tried to do the above methodology, but it does not seem to work. It keeps reading only one body at a time and does not allow for reading two case files at the same time, as I have tried working on Fluent Standalone mode.

But this defeats the application of using Share topology. By applying Share topology it converts the two faces into one. The recent webinars by Ansys, about Fluent meshing, have advised the use of Share topology. This reduces the efforts of creating an interface.

There is no tutorial or any literature regarding the use of Fluent meshing for MRF models. So I want to conform the methodology for using the Share topology and fluent meshing for MRF models.

Please let me know how to proceed further.

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

Hello everyone!!!

Sorry if my doubt was not framed in the right way.

My doubt is; After applying a share topology at the geometry level, since there is now only a single set of elements representing both the fluid, is there a need for interface??

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Then in this case, there is no need for interface. 

We have some rotating domain videos. It may help you. 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• nasa1824
      Subscriber

Dear Keyur,

Thank you so much!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.