General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Fluid Regions in ANSYS Static Structural

• upot2
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to do a thermo-mechanical stress analysis on a file created in ANSYS Icepak. The Icepak file consists of a cold plate (with an inlet opening and outlet opening for water to flow through) on which a few heat sources are placed. The Icepak file works well and I am able to get a solution. 

On importing this to Static Structural through Workbench, the temperature is mapped well. My question is how would I go about dealing with the fluid regions (coolant) in the model for a structural analysis? All other regions are solid and can be assigned structural material properties, however I am not sure what I do for the coolant, since it does not have properties like Young's modulus, coefficient of thermal expansion etc, typical to a solid. I have attached an image of the Icepak model for further reference (the grey shaded regions represent fluid flow with the unshaded areas around them representing solid material) 

Thanks 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello,

Putting your image below for others to see and comment on.

I believe you just suppress the fluid body in Mechanical to do a Thermal/Structural model. Maybe Sandeep will comment.

Regards,

Peter

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Unfortunately, this is not my field of expertise either peter. Although, I've reached out and will hopefully have something soon.

P.S: In the future, I think this question will get more traction in the Multiphysics thread.

Regards,

Sandeep

• upot2
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

On suppressing the fluid body, would the space vacated by the fluid body automatically be occupied by the solid cylinder around it? This is something that should not happen since its basically a hollow cylinder with the inner radii occupied by fluid surrounded by a certain thickness of solid material. The whole region being occupied by the solid would lead to incorrect stress values. 

However, I am not sure if this is what Static Structural indeed does on suppressing a fluid body. If anyone could explain this, it would be great.

Thanks 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.