Fluids

Fluids

Fluid structure analysis

• Anushka
      Subscriber

Is it possible to simulate the spreading behavior of droplet over porous surface by using ANSYS?

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello Yes, it is possible to model this using Ansys Fluent. You will need to account for the dynamic nature of the contact angle, which will require you to write a UDF. Also, depending on your analysis and modeling objectives, you should be thinking if this is a pore-scale model.
      If you can elaborate on your needs further, we might be able to provide some more information here.
      Karthik
    • Anushka
      Subscriber
      Thank you sir for your response. Yes it is a pore scale model. My work is a real life model of water droplet spreading over a piece of paper. I am looking for tracking of spreading and imbibition of water droplet on paper. From the literature, I got to know that motion of gas-liquid interface can be solve by mass conservative volume of fluid (VOF) method and geometry of solid porous matrix can be defined by interface immersed boundary method(IBM) on cartesian computational grid. The dynamics of liquid droplet with porous structure will account with pore scale level. I have a little experience of working on fluent for flow through pipes but the i m totally new for my current problem. Can you provide me some modules or information for the above.
      Thanking you
      Anushka
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello VoF is a general multiphase model for interface capturing between two immiscible fluids. You will find a lot of examples involving VoF approach in Fluent online. There are a number of YouTube videos you can follow to understand and learn about the set-up. I'm sharing the link to the Fluent Tutorial on VoF here. You should also be able to download the files.
      https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v211/en/flu_tg/flu_tg_vof.html
      The pore-scale model you are talking about is a complicated model, especially because of the dynamics involved at the triple contact line (gas-liquid-solid interface). Unfortunately, I don't have anything readily available to share for this. I'd strongly urge you to look into the literature to understand how the contact-line dynamics are handled. You might require a UDF for this. I hope this helps.
      Karthik
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.