General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Force reaction analysis

• garazilizaso
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm trying to make a simulation of a cone indenting a piece of material. Since I already have the experimental data, I know that the indentation force was of 2N. I also know that the maximum indentation distance has been 0.19 mm. By defining displacements and force, I have achieved to simulate the actual indentation distance, but even though I define 2N as force, in the force reaction analysis I get a maximum force of 26N, when in reality it should be 2N. I have already limited that in the force function, but still the force I get is much larger and I don't know why. Any idea/solution?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I assume the model includes a Plasticity material model. Which one are you using? The simplest is Bilinear Isotropic Hardening. By changing the Yield Strength and Tangent Modulus, I expect you can find values that result in a force of 2N at an indentation distance of 0.19 mm.

• garazilizaso
      Subscriber

Thank you for your answer Peter.

The material I'm trying to indent has a linear elastic function:Isotropic elasticity (Young modulus: 2000 MPa, and a Poisson's ratio: 0.22), and prony shear relaxation in order to simulate its viscoelastic properties. I don't change values in the engineering data section, since those are defined properties of the material. I'm changing them in the static structural force section. But I am not getting what I want. Changing de displacement in the static structural has worked, but it doesn't happen with the force. 

• jonl
      Subscriber

You have to define either displacement or force, the other one will be the result of the simulation. If you get a higher force for the same displacement, this means your part is too stiff and you need to change the material properties.

• garazilizaso
      Subscriber

Thank you so much Joni, I will check it out

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.