Fluids

Fluids

Forced Convection over Hollow Heated Cylinder – ANSYS Fluent or Transient Thermal Analysis?

• MechtEngineer
      Subscriber

I have a hollow thermal cylinder with an internal heat source (electronics) of approximately 10 W. The cylinder is approximately 1 metre long with closed ends. Air is being slowly circulated by forced convection by fans on the electronics. The cylinder is outside, and is cooled by wind (forced convection) and heated by the sun (radiant heat). Direct solar energy onto the cylinder is prevented via a shading shield over the top of the cylinder. Please see the image attached for this information in picture form.

Is this problem better solved with ANSYS Fluent or Transient Thermal Analysis? Thanks!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Given the unknowns for convection I'd use Fluent.  Mechanical has the edge where we don't need to worry about the fluid parts. 

• MechtEngineer
      Subscriber

Thanks rwoolhou!

• daha
      Subscriber
      Dear nI am trying to solve a very similar problem but am struggling with the boundary conditions.nWould you be willing to share with me how you set up your simulation?.I am looking forward to hearing from you!nnBest,nDavidn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.