Fluids

Fluids

Forces in negative direction cancelling forces in positive direction.

• jnelsen33
      Subscriber

I am using Fluent to simulate hurricane force winds on a home. I just realized that when I calculate values for force or lift, that the forces in negative directions are canceling forces in positive directions. Is there a way to set it up to take the absolute value of each face? For what I'm simulating , these forces would not cancel...they would both be pulling the structure apart.

Thank you.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Split the surfaces up so you report each one separately.
    • jnelsen33
      Subscriber
      Yes, that's actually how I was able to notice it, I named every face and solved by zone. I am confused by the way lift calculates any of these values. I strictly measured the lift on back side of my roof and got the value from Fluent in each direction separately, and then I found the overall lift that Fluent gives for the back side of the roof by selecting all vectors. The value isn't a sum of the three that I got and it's also not the magnitude, so I'm completely lost on how it's getting it's values. But I think we will have to split them up and use the absolute for each face and find the magnitude for each and treat them individually.
      Thanks.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Read up on the definitions in Fluent - then check what you're reporting and what any reference values are.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.