Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Free edges rectangular plate

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

Hi, how can I get a link on how to get the natural frequencies of a rectangular thin plate with all edges free please?

Thanks

Ochuko

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If it's not covered in the Learning section you may find there's something in the Help system. Remember to anchor the plate to something or your simulation will see it fly away rather than oscillate! 

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

I dont need to anchor the plate. All 4 edges of the thin rectangular plate are completely free

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Use a Modal analysis and request 20 modes.  The first 6 modes will have near zero frequency and are called the “rigid body modes”. 

Mode 7 is the first bending mode of the rectangular plate.

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter but the results from ansys could not validate the matlab results. Why the hug difference between matlab and ansys results with regards to free edges rectangular plate. Please guide me.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please share the matlab inputs, equations and results and the ansys inputs and results.

Have you used an analytic solution?

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

What geometry did you use?  A solid model?  Did you mesh that with solid elements?  If so, you only have 1 element through the thickness. This is not recommended for thin-walled structures.

Use SpaceClaim to create a Midsurface to replace the Solid. Mesh that with shell elements. See how much that moves the first mode frequency.

• Ochuko Ologe
      Subscriber

Thanks so much for your directives. I have finally gotten it.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.