Optical

Optical

frequency sweep within parameter sweep

• Bastian Ruhnke
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I am using the FDE solver to simulate eigenmodes of bend waveguides together with a fequency sweep of the modes. I'd like to use a parameter sweep across a parameter of the waveguide geometry and at the same time do a frequency sweep at every point of the parameter sweep. I am aware that this problem might be tackled using nested parameter sweeps, but for some reasons this is not what I am aiming for. I made sure to run a frequency sweep before setting up the parameter sweep to have the results from the frequency sweep available in the objects tree and can actually choose results form the frequency sweep when setting up the results of the parameter sweep. However when running the parameter sweep I get an error message stating that no analysis objects from the frequency sweep can be found.

My question is now: How can I run a parameter sweep that at every point of the sweep does a frequency sweep and access the results of the frequency sweeps afterwards?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

". I made sure to run a frequency sweep before setting up the parameter sweep to have the results from the frequency sweep available in the objects tree and can actually choose results form the frequency sweep when setting up the results of the parameter sweep".

Maybe this is the problem: when you have result in the object tree, you must have run the simulation to have modes there. However, when you do the parameter sweep, the modes are gone. this is why it cannot find the result.

The first option is better with script.

• Bastian Ruhnke
        Subscriber

Thanks for the quick answer,

what exactly do you mean with 'The first option is better with script.'?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

You use script to do the sweep, instead of use the sweep utility. This is because, FDE was not initially designed to sweep the frequency in the utility. But you can file a feature request here ix.lumerical.com.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.