General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Frictional Simulation

• grcaubel
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am working on an explicit dynamics simulation in which two surfaces are meant to interact with each other through friction, both surfaces being about 5mm x 30mm. I have all the contact settings with the desired friction coefficients etc. The two surfaces are forced together using an normal pressure of different magnitudes where I am expecting there to be a greater influence on the interaction between the two surfaces as the pressure increases from 0 to about 50kPa. However, no matter what I do there is no difference in the results when the pressure is applied and when it is not.

Is there another solver I should be using or settings that I should change for the frictional interaction to be more accurately calculated or is this a limitation of the ANSYS software. Thank you for the help!

• PSiedlac123
      Subscriber

You meant Explicit Dynamic in Workbench, AUTODYNE or maybe LSdyna?There are 3 explicit solvers for structural mechanics.
      If You use Workbench try switching to transient structural (ANSYS). Most of settings should be transferred automatically from Explicit Dynamics.

• grcaubel
      Subscriber
      I’m using the explicit dynamics solver AUTODYN within the structural physics option inside of ANSYS. I hope that clarifies. Thanks
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

You can also use Static Structural to evaluate the frictional force for relative sliding motion of two parts.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.