General Mechanical

General Mechanical

From Fluent to Structural – export

Tagged: 

• francescone96
      Subscriber

Hi everybody,

I have to perform a structural analysis of a planar 2D body, but the stress of the analysis is mainly due to the thermal field coming from a previous transient analysis in Fluent.

FLUENT: i set up the autosave at each 5 time-step, then i do the simulation and i connect on workbench the "solution" of Fluent with "Setup" of transient structural;

T.STRUCTURAL: i go on "imported body temperature", but after that i cannot select the fluid domain, which is coloured by yellow as if there is an error.

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nAre you done with your Fluent run? Or are you still looking to run the Fluent solution further (in time) and keep importing the Fluent solution into Transient Structural? If this is the case, is there a reason why you are not using the 'System Coupling' for transferring the solution from Fluent to Structural?nThanks.nKarthikn
    • francescone96
      Subscriber
      Hi,ni tried with system coupling but it doesn't support 2D models from Fluent and gives me an error. n
    • francescone96
      Subscriber
      i read on this forum that to perform a FSI for a 2D problem i must fake the 2D geometry and transform it into a 3D by giving to it a thickness, assuring only 1 face along the normal direction of the plane.n That is actually wrong in my case, because performing a 3D analysis means change the element from PLANE182 to SHELL181, which means plane stress. What i have to simulate is plain strain which is obtainable only with PLANE182 element (changing the Keyoption of the element). nMy question could be the following: is there a way to perform plain strain for SHELL181? n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Moving to Mech as the Fluids team don't use element types. orare the experts in those! n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.