Fluids

Fluids

FSI for a T-junction

• saluf
      Subscriber

I am trying to simulate a FSI for a T-junction. The transient fluid analysis has been carried out and this is coupled to a structural analysis. Meshing (ICEM CFX) was also linked to the model of the structural analysis as I prefer a hexahedral mesh. However, after linking the fluent to structural, the setup for Fluent keeps requesting that I refresh Fluent. Is there something I am not doing right? Picture 1- workflow before coupling, picture 2 : workflow after coupling

picture 1

picture 2

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Are you coupling via System Coupling? Please see the following tutorial to understand the right way of coupling.

Reed Valve FSI Co-Simulation with Partial Setup Export from Workbench (Fluent-Mechanical) (ansys.com)

Karthik

• saluf
      Subscriber

Thanks Karthik, 

I didn't use system coupling as I felt one could connect the directly. I have seen that done in other videos too. I am aunable to view this link as it requires registration from me which I am unable to complete. Is there an alternative to get this link please?

Funke

• Karthik R
      Administrator

If it is a 2-way FSI, you will need to use the System coupling. Directly connecting Fluent solution to Mechanical will only give you a 1-way coupling. Regarding instructions on how to use the Ansys Help link (what I shared earlier), please see the following post.

How to access the ANSYS Online Help

Karthik

• saluf
      Subscriber

Its a 1-way FSI.

Funke

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Thank you for this information. How are you setting up your transfer to Mechanical? Also, what variables are you transferring from Fluent to Mechanical? 

Karthik

• saluf
      Subscriber

Hello,

Temperature fluctuation are transfered from fluent to mechanical and a direct coupling is done. The model from ICEM CFD is linked to fluent and structural. Also, the solution from fluent is linked to the setup in structural. Have I answered your question?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.