Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Geometry and Mesh Condition

• gowthamdada
      Subscriber

I m trying to simulate this model which attached in this message.

Try to help to geometry and Mesh generation

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

What version of ANSYS are you using, 18.2 or 19.0?

Which geometry editor do you want to use,  DesignModeler or SpaceClaim?

What are the dimension?  What is the size of the gap between the pig and the tube?

If you assume that the pig is centered, then you could build an axisymmetric model, which will solve much faster. A 3D model can simulate the pig being off-center.  Do you want to build an axisymmetric model?

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber

You need to use the 6DOF method and dynamic meshing for this problem but I agree with Peter we need more information.

Regards

• gowthamdada
      Subscriber

Using ANSYS 16.

Geometry Editor - ICEM CFD

Dimension

Pipe length - 500m, Height - 5m

Pig length - 5m height - 4.6m

no idea about axisymmetric model. i have to determine pig velocity due to differential pressure. if axisymmetric model is easy sure i will prefer that

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I'm not that experienced with CFD, but I would assume starting with an axisymmetric model is a good first model. You use the X-axis as the axial pipe direction and draw the geometry on the +Y side of a radial cut through the pipe fluid and pig. You need a rectangle 5m on X and 2.3m on Y to represent the pig and a rectangle for fluid 500m on X and 2.5m on Y with the pig cut out of the middle. There is some slicing of the fluid to make edges for the dynamic meshing, which I am not familiar with, but I'm sure you will get more help here if you get stuck.

You might even shorten the pipe length to 50m while you get the model working, then lengthen it to 500m when it is working to save you some time getting it to work initially.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.