3D Design

3D Design

Geometry not imported to ICEM CFD upon update of Design Point (ANSYS 2019 R2)

• jainanup27
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to study the Mesh Quality for different geometries (Parametric Geometry). Whenever I update the design point I see that the New Geometry is created in the Design Modeler however, it is not carried forward to ICEM CFD. Please find the attached image of the project workflow.  I have tried to retain the data during the design point update. For eg. in dp0 (Design point 0)  folder, I have the base Geometry and the ICEM CFD mesh file. In the dp1 folder, I get the updated geometry but in ICEM folder I have the same previous mesh that of dp0. 

(The parametric model is created in CAESES. The file is then automatically updated in Design Modeler. For every change in the design point, I see that the Design Modeler geometry is updated but the ICEM CFD file remains same) 

I also tried using another geometry and that too without using CAESES and I still have the same issue

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Staff can't open files/attachments so please repost the images.  Unless you need a hex mesh I'd suggest using ANSYS Meshing as it's much easier and was specifically designed to work on parametric runs. 

• jainanup27
      Subscriber

Yes, I need a hex meshing. I mean during optimization the Geometry keeps changing and in ICEM CFD I can have a script to have proper hex meshing. So even if the geometry changes I cam maintain good orthogonality and quality. Is it the same with ANSYS Meshing? Or does it directly creates the mesh once the given meshing parameters are set?

Thanks,

Anup 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Multizone is also present in ANSYS Meshing, but it depends on what you actually need. 

We think you also need a reason for ICEM CFD to update: if you alter the geometry manually in DM you'll be able to force an update. The Parameter tools look to see the output parameter. Which solver do you plan on using?

• jainanup27
      Subscriber
      I don't need multizone. I will be using Pressure based solver. I am using Design Exploration for optimization and hence Based on the DOE the geometry changes automatically
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

Multizone is the automatic hexa tool from ICEM CFD!   I assume you're going to Fluent? 

• jainanup27
      Subscriber

I have 2D flow domain.Yes I will be going with fluent.

I have 2D flow domain.Yes I will be going with fluent.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Stick the Fluent component into the Workflow and make sure you define an output parameter and try it again for two design points. 

• jainanup27
      Subscriber

Okay so you mean to add fluent workflow after the ICEM CFD and check the result? Also I see that the ANSYS 2019 R2 has interactive option available which combines ANSYS meshing with ICEM CFD. I have attached the snapshot from the Help page. However, I didn't find where is the option to write the files located as shown in the snapshot? Can you please throw some light on it?. May be then I will try using both ways, this way and the one you suggested above. Furthermore, there is one more option available in ANSYS Meshing i.e Record. Does this work similar to scripting?? Like if I record the mesh using ANSYS Meshing and run optimization then will this recording be used for creating the mesh in ANSYS Meshing?

• jainanup27
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to study the Mesh Quality for different geometries (Parametric Geometry). Whenever I update the design point I see that the New Geometry is created in the Design Modeler however, it is not carried forward to ICEM CFD. Please find the attached image of the project workflow.  I have tried to retain the data during the design point update. For eg. in dp0 (Design point 0)  folder, I have the base Geometry and the ICEM CFD mesh file. In the dp1 folder, I get the updated geometry but in ICEM folder I have the same previous mesh that of dp0. 

(The parametric model is created in CAESES. The file is then automatically updated in Design Modeler. For every change in the design point, I see that the Design Modeler geometry is updated but the ICEM CFD file remains same) 

I also tried using another geometry and that too without using CAESES and I still have the same issue

Hi, I have attached the log file for the first case

C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp0/ICM/ICEMCFD == working directory for design point 0

C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/ICM/ICEMCFD == workign directory for design point 1

"C/Program Files/ANSYS Inc/v191/icemcfd/win64_amd/bin/icemcfd.bat" -batch -wb2 -wb_command "properties {GeometryImportSolidBodies True GeometryImportSurfaceBodies True GeometryImportLineBodies True GeometryImportCadAttributes True GeometryImportCadAttributesFilter {} GeometryImportNamedSelections True GeometryImportNamedSelectionsFilter {} GeometryImportWorkPoints True GeometryImportProcessEnclosures True GeometryImportMixedResolutionOption {eMixedImport_None} GeometryImportAnalysisType {eAnalysisType_2D} GeometryImportCadAssociativity True GeometryImportSavePartFile False GeometryImportCreateSubset False}"

-wb_command "update {C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/C_GEO/DM/C_GEO.agdb} {"Fluent_V6" }"  

-wb_cur_dir "C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/ICM/ICEMCFD" -wb_init_proj_name "ICM" -wb_backup "C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/.0.65 million 20062019_files.backup"

Checked out ansyslmd feature aa_r (product ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical and CFD) from server 1055@licsvr.ece.ufl.edu

Customer number is 659679

Project directory set to C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/ICM/ICEMCFD

LINE B

Loading geometry file "ICM.tin" === Which folder are below four files coming from ???  from dp0 / dp1 ?

Loading domain "ICM.uns" ...

Loading blocking file ICM.blk

Loading attribute data from ICM.atr

Loading C/Program Files/ANSYS Inc/v191/icemcfd/win64_amd/icemcfd/output-interfaces/fluentAnsys.bcinfo

Current solver is ANSYS Fluent

Solver ANSYS Fluent supports unstructured mesh.

Loading family boco data from ICM.fbc

Current project directory: C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/ICM/ICEMCFD

Updating properties...

Updating ICEM CFD...

Refreshing ICEM CFD...

Refreshing geometry from "C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp0/C_GEO/DM/C_GEO.agdb" ...    Why is it refreshing                                                                                                                                                                               geometry from the design point 0 folder? 

(Well when dp1 is chnaged the mesh is till the dp0, when dp2 is changed the mesh is still dp0 however, when dp0 is changed only we get new modified mesh)

Imported parameters from geometry file C/Users/jainanup/Final Mesh/0.65 million 20062019_files/dp1/ICM/ICEMCFD/ICM.tinb == but this ICM.tim                                                                                                                                                                                     is same as the one in the dp0 folder

Running replay file ICM.rpl

Loading domain "C/Users/jainanup/FINALM~1/0FF3A~1.65M/dp0/ICM/ICEMCFD/hex.uns" ...

ICEM CFD's return status was 7.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Record in ANSYS Meshing records the order of operations. So set all global sizing etc and then use record to mesh block by block: think it's labelled as sequential meshing in documentation. 

No idea where those files are stored: check in the /dp# folders. I've not used ICEM CFD much, and my main experience with it is from it's predecessor in the mid '90's 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.