General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Geometry size limitation in workbench

• j.drozdowski
      Subscriber

Hello. I've got a question about geometry size limitations in Ansys workbench. I'm using version 2019R3 (commercial license).

Lately I encounter a problem with importing some big geometry.
      My workflow looks like that.
      Creating geometry in external Cad software and exporting igs or step file from it.
      Importing file to design modeler and generating geometry.

I've made some test. For example i tried import single plate element 50m x 250m and I received an error.
      Then I tried to import 250m line body and that was ok. But importing 1000m line body end up with an error. I know that modeling anything with element this size is rather pointless but that brought me a question what size of structures can be analyzed in workbench.

So can someone tell me what are body size limitation in Workbench ?
      Or there is no such an answer and it depends on computer we are using. Thank you in advance. Regards.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I made a test, there is no problem creating a 50 m x 250 m object in DM. I set the Units to meters before I drew it.

I have seen models that have distances measured in km.

I don't know what the size limit is, but you have a defect in your export/import process, it's not a limit of DM.

• j.drozdowski
      Subscriber

Hey. I found something like this in help.

I made few tests. General conclusion is that STEP format is better for importing big objects. For example IGES failed with surface 250x50m and with STEP there is no problem.

After enabling large model support I was able to import 1000x1000m surface via STEP file into Design modeler. But nothing bigger then that. And according to help there shouldn't be no problem even with surface 1000x1000 km. Any ideas why is that ?

This problem is regarding only to Design modeler. I've imported step file with 10x10km surface to SpaceClaim and it send it to mechanical without any problems.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Thanks for that info!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.