Fluids

Fluids

getting an error while interpreting UDF in HPC

• pawar002
      Subscriber

ID     Hostname  Core   O.S.      PID            Vendor                      

n0-15  node002   16/32  Linux-64  120698-120713  Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2683 v4 

host   node002          Linux-64  120237         Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5-2683 v4 

MPI Option Selected: ibmmpi

Selected system interconnect: mpi-auto-selected

/define/user-defined interpreted-functions "/home/vrp1/Fluent/ETC_RV/UDF.c" "cpp" 10000 yes

cpp -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/main" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/addon-wrapper" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/io" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/species" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/pbns" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/numerics" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/sphysics" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/storage" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/mphase" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/bc" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/models" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/material" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/amg" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/util" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/mesh" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/udf" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/ht" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/dx" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/turbulence" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/parallel" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/etc" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/ue" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/dpm" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/src/dbns" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/tgrid/src" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/cortex/src" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/client/src" -I"/home/ansys_inc/v190/fluent/fluent19.0.0/multiport/src" -I. -DUDFCONFIG_H="" "/home/vrp1/Fluent/ETC_RV/UDF.c"

Multicore processors detected. Processor affinity set!

Filling Host Domain 0 [1.10552 sec]

Computing the solar fluxes on the host process using 16 omp threads (as many number of threads as number of fluent node processes). Use the "/parallel/thread-number-control" TUI to select a different number of thread.

Fair Weather Conditions:

Sun Direction Vector:  X: -0.0785403, Y: 0.170758, Z: 0.982178

Sunshine Fraction: 1

Direct Normal Solar Irradiation [W/m^2]: 3679.35

Freeing Host Domain

Error: chip-exec: function "wall_flux" not found.

Error: chip-exec: function "wall_flux" not found.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The model is expecting a UDF to define the wall_flux but it's not available. When you interpret the UDF has it definitely worked?

• pawar002
      Subscriber

actually while i am interpreting it in my computer it works well, but when i am trying to submit the job on (OS: Linux based) HPC i am getting above error ("Error: chip-exec: function "wall_flux" not found."). 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Are you setting up on Windows and then transferring files to LINUX?  If so you need to run this command on the LINUX side:

dos2unix  something.c    

Windows adds a load of whitespace characters that cause problems on LINUX. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

yes, I am following below mentioned steps while submitting the job,

dos2unix abc.jou

dos2unix udf.c

dos2unix pbs_submit.dat

but still, I am getting an error.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

In which case can you also check the udf is being loaded on read in. It's possible it's trying to read from the original path. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Error: "/home/vrp1/Fluent/ETC_RV/UDF.c": line 1: syntax error 

UDF Code

#include "udf.h"  (line:1)

DEFINE_PROFILE(wall_flux,th,i)

{

face_t f;

real flow_time=CURRENT_TIME;

begin_f_loop(f,th)

{

F_PROFILE(f,th,i) = -0.000002*flow_time*flow_time+0.0848*flow_time+36.785;

}

end_f_loop(f,th);

}

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Can you open the file on LINUX and check if there are any white space characters. The code ought to work, but obviously isn't. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

No There isn't any white space characters in my code. please see above image.

• pawar002
      Subscriber

cpp: /home/vrp1/Fluent/ETC_RV/UDF.c: Value too large for defined data type (What does it mean i am using ANSYS 19.0, OS:Linux)

Error: "/home/vrp1/Fluent/ETC_RV/UDF.c": line 1: syntax error.  ( i have also tried dos2unix UDF.c)

(everything is working perfectly on windows getting issue while submitting it to the HPC)

Please help me to solve this issue.

Thanks

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Try compiling on Linux.

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hi Abenhadj,

Could you please guide me how to compile UDF on Linux using Journal file?

Thank you

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Look in the TUI and you'll find the commands under

/define/user-defined  

Then follow the commands. Use q to come back up a level in the TUI and to display the list of available commands. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Hi rwoolhou,

Thank you so much for your guidance.

I have compiled the UDF on HPC successfully. But interpreting UDF in FLUENT is much easier. could you please explain to me why it was showing syntax error while I interpreted it. But without any modification, it worked perfectly while I am compiling it.

Thank you. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Not sure. I always add the headers in quote marks, eg

#include "udf.h"

Which you put in the original post, but then you omitted them in the screen grab of the editor. That could make a difference, and it was line 1 that gave the error. 

In general it's better to compile for compute efficiency and because not all macros & utilities are available in interpreted UDFs. 

• pawar002
      Subscriber

Thank you Rwoolhou for your help.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.