Fluids

Fluids

GPU Acceleration on a GTX 2060

• DevmalyaB
      Subscriber

Hi all,

While Ansys mentions the GPGPU cards compatible for acceleration are only Teslas & Quadros, I have seen people accelerating Fluent Solvers with GTX cards. I have a GTX 2060 Max-Q with 6GB of VRAM and I have also set an system environment variable of ANSGPU_OVERRIDE=1, which enables non-compatible cards to be used for acceleration. I also checked if my GPU is available, and enabled GPU acceleration for the pressure-coupled solver by typing this in the console:

solve/set/amg-options/amg-gpgpu-options/pressure-coupled

It does show the following text when I start the solver, which means that the GPU should be used for acceleration... :

"AMG on GPGPU

AMGX version 1.0.0-build105

Built on Sep 18 2014, 20:05:05

Compiled with CUDA Runtime 6.0, using CUDA driver 11.3"

But nope! My GPU usage was still 0 😔 All 8 cores of my CPU were being used but not GPU. I am modelling a object with a mesh size of 1 million cells (read somewhere that 1M cells need approximately 4GB of VRAM so I did not think it would be a problem). When it did not work, I even tried with a 60k cell mesh, but nope! I have also tried various solvers (7-10 models) ranging from pure laminar pipe flow to combustion modelling with species transport and DPM, but there was no GPU acceleration in any of them!

Can anyone please help me figure out what else do I need to do to get the GPU to accelerate my solver?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Do not post the question several times. Be patient!
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.