Fluids

Fluids

Gray screen when meshing a geometry in fluent.

• ThomasLeij
      Subscriber

I wanted to start on my first fluid simulation in fluent. All the different systems are present in the workbench. I can import a geometry in spaceclaim and in the workbench a checkmark appears. The next step in meshing, but when I try to open the meshing program, only a gray window pops up. Workbench tells me it is opening the meshing program, but after waiting a really long time, still nothing happens. When looking in my task maneger, no activity of workbench can be spotted.

I am using a Teaching Licence.

If somebody could help me fix this issue, that would be wonderfull.

• George Karnos
      Ansys Employee
      Under the directory %TEMP%\WorkbenchLogs you should see session log files, check those for errors.
      If there are errors, post the error here. Please do not attach file as we are not permitted to open files.
      Which graphics card are you using?
      Check your graphics card driver and make sure you are using the latest available.
    • ThomasLeij
      Subscriber
      {19/01/2022 15:21:58} [Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandFailedException:Message] Error while waiting for Meshing initialization to complete. Either the application crashed or Workbench lost communication with it.
      System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
      This is the error I get in the CoreEvent an UIEvent file. I close the screen afterwards because it is not reacting.
      I am using a NVIDEA Quadro M1200 and I am using the latest version of the graphics card driver
    • rysanek
      Subscriber
      Hi I am facing the exact same error on a new install of ANSYS2021R1. Same process followed as ThomasLeij.
      I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080. My NVIDIA drivers are current.
      My machine is Windows 10. It previously had ANSYS 19.1 installed, but that was fully uninstalled prior to installing 2021R1. I have a research license with my institute that I connect via VPN.
      Thanks for your help A.

The full error from the UIEvents log file:

Event log opened 2/1/2022 2:25:12 PM Pacific Standard Time

Product version: 2021 R1
      Build version: 21.1.0.2020110819

{2/1/2022 2:26:09 PM} [Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandFailedException:Message] Error while waiting for Meshing initialization to complete. Either the application crashed or Workbench lost communication with it.
      System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Server stack trace:
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadFromSocket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadAndMatchFourBytes(Byte[] buffer)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadAndMatchPreamble at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16& operation)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientSocketHandler.ReadHeaders at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
      at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
      at Ans.Meshing.RemoteItf.IMeshingHelper.WaitForRemotingInitialization at Ansys.Addins.Infrastructure.Remoting.RemotingApiHelper.FatalApiMethodInvalidOperationException(String message, RemotingApiMethod callback)
      --- Ansys.Core.Commands.UserReadableFailureException: Error while waiting for Meshing initialization to complete. Either the application crashed or Workbench lost communication with it.
      at Ansys.Addins.Infrastructure.CommandUtilities.CommandHelper.Execute(IFullContext context)
      at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.CommandWorkUnit.executeInContext(CommandContext subContext, IExecutionEngineCallback tracer)
      at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.BaseWorkUnit.doExecute(IExecutionEngineCallback executionEngine, CommandContext subContext)
      at Ansys.Core.Commands.Concurrency.BaseWorkUnit.Execute(IExecutionEngineCallback executionEngine, Boolean dontCatchExceptions)
      --- Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandFailedException: Error while waiting for Meshing initialization to complete. Either the application crashed or Workbench lost communication with it.
      CommandName: Meshing.EditModel(Container="Mesh")
      at Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandAsyncResult.RethrowFailureException(Exception e)
      at Ansys.Core.Commands.CommandAsyncResult.Wait(Int32 milliSecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
      at Ansys.Meshing.Core.Commands.EditModel.InvokeAndWait(IProtectedContext context, DataContainerReference Container, Boolean Interactive)
      at Ansys.Meshing.GUI.EditModel.Invoke(GuiOperationContext context)
      at Ansys.UI.GuiOperationContext.Invoke(GuiOperationMetaData operationData)
      at Ansys.UI.UIManager.InvokeOperationCore(String pseudoname, OperationDelegate callback, Boolean allowOSMessages, Boolean coreTransaction, Boolean deferredRefreshOnly)

• rysanek
      Subscriber
      Just want to add that I can open FLUENT's mesh tool directly form the Start Menu. This error is coming up as I try to open/edit the Mesh from Workbench.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.