General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Harmonic Analysis for Acoustics

• Jimmylolu
      Subscriber

Dear Peteroznewman,

Please,  I need your assistance on modeling and simulating the impedance tube setup to test novel composite materials. I saw you have helped someone with this before. I am new to Ansys and need guidelines on how to plot the sound coefficient vs frequency response from the analysis.

P.S I am using Ansys 19.2

Thank you

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please describe the novel composite material.

• Jimmylolu
      Subscriber

Sisal-Kenaf-ABS

Sisal Fibre

Kenaf Fibre

ABS Matrix

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please describe in detail the information you have about the Sisal Fibre and the Kenaf Fibre.

I doubt you are going to model individual fibers.  That means you are going to abstract those layers with a porous solid. That means you need to measure data from each of those layers individually. If you need to measure acoustic data on one layer, you can also measure the acoustic data on the composite material.

I don't think you can build a model to simulate the acoustic properties of this composite without a lot of data about the individual layers.

• Jimmylolu
      Subscriber

The composites are non woven mats ...I will assume they are poroelastic materials and define their experimentally measured density, pore size, elastic properties and airflow resistance. Will this work?

Regards

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I'm not expert at acoustic modeling. I expect it can be made to work. Try building a model for a material for which you already have impedance tube data.

• Jimmylolu
      Subscriber

That is a nice way to go about it. I will give it a shot. However, how do I estimate the sound absorption coefficient and plot that against frequency response. 

Please can we work through this together? I will really appreciate thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

When you ask "how do I estimate the sound absorption coefficient and plot that against frequency response"  are you asking about how to do that in the lab or in a model?

Please reply with any data you have on a material for which you have impedance tube data. You can put anything in a zip file and attach that after you post a reply.

Read all these posts.

One

Two

Three

Four

• Jimmylolu
      Subscriber

Thank you Sir for your help so far. I was away for recess, please bear with me for replying late. I want to plot the sound absorption coefficient against frequency  in a model. 

Image showing the properties of the composites

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.