General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Harmonic Anslysis Stress Anlaysis over a range using the Maximum Over Frquency

• Ashkan Eslaminejad
      Subscriber

Hi, 

I am doing a linear harmonic analysis of pipe and welds. I was asked to find the maximum stress that can happen on the weld over a swap harmonic load from 5 Hz to 1200 Hz. So in the harmonic MSUP method, I loaded the pipe with a unit load from 5Hz to 1200 Hz, plotted the Stress Intensity contour, and changed from one frequency point to Maximum Over Frequency Option. I want to know why there are significant differences between stress when the Amplitude option is "YES" or "NO"? What is this amplitude tool? 

Thank you!

Ash

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
    • Bill Bulat
      Ansys Employee

I suspect that when the Amplitude is set to "no", Mechanical is reporting the maximum S1 over the frequency range at some fixed phase angle (the default is probably zero - the real part of the response). When you set Amplitude to "yes", it likely determines the maximum amplitude of S1 over a full cycle of vibration (instead of at a particular phase angle). It then does this at each frequency of the harmonic sweep and reports the maximum values at all locations in the model, which I believe is what you've been asked to determine.

Kind regards,

Bill

• Ashkan Eslaminejad
      Subscriber

Thanks. This is the answer of the question I asked. I appreciate it. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.