Fluids

Fluids

Heat exchangers

• hugo CFD
      Subscriber

Hi. I am simulating a Fixed plate heat exhanger with 3 channel. 1 is the exhaust fluid and the 2 are supply fluid. 

In boundary conditions i defined a velocity 4.16 m/s. In post processing, when I want to speed through the part, it shows zero velocity for the entire flow. What should I do?

thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Can you share your model?  If so create an archive by using File, Archive in Workbench to create a .wbpz file which you can attach to your reply. The file size limit for attaching is 120 MB.  If your file is over the limit, you have to Clear Generated Data from the Model (or Mesh), Save (or Save As to a new name), and then File, Archive to create a smaller file.

In your reply with the attachment, say what version of ANSYS you are using (18.2, 19.0).  Or if you are using AIM.

• Vishal Ganore
      Ansys Employee

Project file could help in understanding what is going wrong. Here is the tutorial on plate heat exchanger if you wish to explore more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQMtm0_chcLx4NoPbUFkqLHoOomntN0Gr&time_continue=3&v=EJTnpwKe-fg

• hugo CFD
      Subscriber

my version is 18.2.

• hugo CFD
      Subscriber

My geometry is diferent. My geometry is equal a quasi counter flow heat exchanger and when i create the inflation, i have problems with the convergence. the line of the energy is divergence. i think I'm not creating inflation well.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

regards

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Hugo,

I opened your model and can see why you are having problems with convergence. You only have one layer of elements through each fluid domain.

Fortunately, that is easily fixed by assigning a sweep method on each fluid body and specifying 10 elements through the thickness and using a bias option to put smaller elements near the walls and larger elements in the center.

Try this out and see if it helps. I could slice up the solid to make that mesh better, but that is a significant amount of work and may not help as much as this simple change should.  The number of elements is < 512,000 but I don't know if that will be under the Student license limit if it adds in the nodes.  If so, just erase the mesh and change the sweep from 10 elements to 8 elements and that will come in with a lower number. However, I used selective meshing, which means I hid the solid, picked the three fluid bodies and right clicked to Mesh Selected Bodies. Once the three fluid bodies were meshed, I clicked Generate Mesh to do the solid.

In Fluent, I could not see any velocity set on the inlets so I'm not sure if the file you sent was ready to run.

• hugo CFD
      Subscriber

Hello

Why when i increase the height of the channel and mantain the other parameters of the mesh constants  i cant to obtain a converge with continuity equation?

regrads

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please upload a new ANSYS 18.2 archive with the Fluent model fully built.

• hugo CFD
      Subscriber

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.