3D Design

3D Design

Hello, I would need to help to reduce the height of the element with not of a groove of 2 cyrcles

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Hello, I would need to help to reduce the height of the element with not of a groove of 2 circles and not to reduce the chimeny just behind, so basically to reduce the heigh of the outer size without the size of the cyklic groove and the chimeny by many mm. But at this time it does not work at all and I do not see what is the problem. If you can tell me the details how to reduce the height around the lower height, it would be great! Thanks

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

the question is not clear to me. others can jump in. 

can you please explain issue by drawing some arrows on image. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

I would like to reduce the length of the total length and it does not work at all. So what can I do? I have no idea...

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Better to say height not lenght.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Can you at least tell me why do not you able to understand the problem? Thanks a lot

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Please can you add some arrows to the drawing to show what you need to do? The original post isn't clear, and describing CAD in words isn't easy. 

Depending on how you built the volume you may just need to go through the sketch dimensions or extrude distance and alter one of those.  

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Ok, I will put here the photo of the part and later on we can discuss what is needed to do. Thanks a lot. Jiri

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

This is the part I am going to produce, it is a part of the motorbike in 1950´s, the best at that time and 500 ccm.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So the point is that I have the part quite crude, but finished of the height to the top one point at the bottom and than the surface of the 2 holes, one bigger, one smaller and with carbon Alu material and it is flat grinded and I need to continue to make to area outwarding to do everything around it like the flange with 2 bolts and all around parts that are lower. So if you have an idea, please let me know. Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Not sure, you may well need multiple sketches on one plane (you can then extrude each a different depth). If you want a more accurate representation you also need to think in 3D: you may want sketches in multiple different planes and also need to work out whether it's easier to add material or remove from a larger volume. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

So I started to do the model in the way showed in the first way, so you can see there I am starting in 3D model and removing parts that are needed, so what is the problem? So shall I continue in the way I aleready did?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

as rob mentioned, you will need multiple sketches. also please note that this part will require lot of steps. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

I think this is fine, I am learning so I should be able to create the model needed, not just to make jokes, serious work to do. But how should I start to work you think, so what part to start to with, multiple sketches are not a problem, I just would like to start with it. Thanks for your explanation

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Also you can tell me that I have started with something above the sketch and if it is necessary to continue or NOT. Thanks a lot.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

you can start with upper part as shown in image below. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Ok, I will do this, just if you have a look inside, it has a bit more stifnesses of the material.

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Just a type of ribs...

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

For the highlighted section I'd create a sketch of the outline and extrude to give the bulk volume. I'd then add a second sketch to remove all of the bolt hole material: possibly another sketch for the hole in the middle. I'd then chamfer the edges. Turning the model over I'd use another sketch to remove some of the material in the hidden face. 

This process is as much about understanding how to create the shape as how the software works. You need to sit down and figure out how the metal goes together (ie what shapes are needed: are they adding material or removing it?) and then apply the various sketch, extrude, cut, revolve features in DesignModeler that we've explained over the last month or so to achieve this. 

• Georgiro
      Subscriber

Ok. I will try to do it. Thanks a lot

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.