General Mechanical

General Mechanical

HELP : DEFINE MANUAL CONTACT IN ANSYS WORKBENCH

• Mohamed SEKKAKI
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

When I define manually, the contact between two elements (bricks and mortar), ANSYS shows me the following error:

Invalid "Contact zone"

The method that i follow to define the manual contact is as follows:
      - I define all the bricks that I have as a contact and all the mortar as a target,
      i.e. I create a single contact that groups all the contacts between the bricks and mortar

There is anyone know the solution?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

In your other post, https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/create-contact-between-two-elements/ you said, "I want to define the interface parameters between these two components using Cohesive Zone Model."  This is important context for the question you ask above.

• Mohamed SEKKAKI
        Subscriber

Hello sir,

I want to define the parameters of interfaces (Between Bricks and mortars) using the COHESIVE ZONE MODEL (CZM), when I create the contacts automatically, the software gives me more than 400 contacts, and to define this interface, I have to assign the CZM for each contact, I want to know if there is a method that allows me to assign this model (CZM) for all contacts, otherwise if there is a method that groups similar contacts together to facilitate the task

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Please check supported type of contacts here:

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v222/en/wb_sim/ds_supported_contact_types.html 

-Aniket

How to access Ansys help links

Guidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forum

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Mohamed,

Have you been successful with the CZM with a very small model of 2 bricks and one layer of mortar?

Did you know you can make the same setting to many contacts at once?

In Mechanical, when you have 400 contacts, click on the first contact in the Outline, scroll to the last contact in the Outline, hold down the Shift key and click on the last contact thereby selecting all 400 contacts. Then in the Detail window for the Contact, setting them all to CZM at once.

Peter

• Mohamed SEKKAKI
      Subscriber

Here is the detail window which gives me when I select all the contacts.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please show how you set CZM on one contact.

• Mohamed SEKKAKI
      Subscriber

After defining the properties of the CZM, I insert the fracture ==>  contact debonding ==>  I assign for each contact debonding the corresponding contact as shown in the following picture:

sorry, the screenshot is in French language

Rupture = Fracture

Décollement de contact = Contact Debonding

• Mohamed SEKKAKI
        Subscriber

I'm still waiting for your answer sir

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't have a CZM file to play with to look for options. Please delete your mesh and in Workbench, use the File Archive menu to create a .wbpz file and upload that to a file sharing site such as Google Drive, OneDrive or Jumpshare.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.