Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Help regarding Selection of computer hardware

• arunsu
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would like to request help in the final selection of computer hardware. Currently, after looking through various configurations, the following two configurations are the ones finalized for purchase based on our proposed budget. I would really appreciate if you could help me in selecting the final configuration. 

The target is to run Ansys Maxwell simulations for wireless applications with  parameter sweep of variables for optimization

Configuration 1: 

Dell precision 5820

Intel Xeon W-2145 (3.7GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo, 8C, 11MB Cache, HT, (140W)) DDR4-2666

NVIDIA Quadro P2000, 5GB, 4 DP (5820T)

128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz RDIMM ECC

M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

Configuration 2:

Intel Xeon Gold 6128 3.4GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo, 6C, 10.4GT/s 2UPI, 19.25MB Cache, HT (115W) DDR4-2666

NVIDIA Quadro P1000, 4GB, 4 mDP to DP adapter 7X20T

96GB (6x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz RDIMM ECC

M.2 512GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

The basic difference is in the processor series. I am confused with the higher core count vs higher cache memory for the applications. Based on the recommendation from Ansys website high clock is important but does cache plays an equally important role in Maxwell simulations.

Thank you for your help.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is a relevant discussion I had on the site.

Looking at your two options, Configuration 1 is clearly superior for ANSYS simulations. It has a higher clock speed, more cores and more RAM.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Also please check 

https://www.ansys.com/en-in/solutions/solutions-by-role/it-professionals/platform-support

• arunsu
      Subscriber

Thank you for your response. I read the relevant discussion you linked and it does make sense to go for configuration  1 based on the lengthy discussion given in that topic.

• arunsu
      Subscriber

Thank you for providing the link. I had already visited the link but since it is too general couldn't come to a conclusion.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.