Fluids

Fluids

help with 3D bifrucating artery tutorial

• pmh1d15
      Subscriber

Hi,

I'm fiarly new to fluent, and want to measure wall shear stress on channel walls in a 3d model of a microfluidic device. I have followed the Cornell 3D Bifurcating Artery online tutorial through so that I can learn from this and apply it to my own model. https://confluence.cornell.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=268895958 I have been through this tutorial a good few times now on both ANSYS 17.2 and 18.2 student versions, however while I get the same results as the tutorial for flow rate and particle tracking, I get no wall shear stress at all. I have followed it exactly and this is the only difference I get im my results, annoyingly its the one that I really want. But I just get a blue model with a scale bar from 0 to 0. Could it be that the tutorial is missing a step or some setting is different on my version compared with the tutorial, version 15.0. Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Luca
      Subscriber
      Hey I did the same tutorial few months ago, but i didn't Remember the setup of the problem. I can suggest you to check all the bcs (usually when I get a contour that shows a 0 to 0 bar, I notice that is linked to a wrong BC).
      I Hope u Can resolve your problem.
      Luca
    • pmh1d15
      Subscriber

Thanks for your suggestion Luca. I've double checked through the boundary conditions and they are exactly as in the tutorials. I’ve now gone through the tutorial again, but still no luck. Do you remember if the wall shear worked when you did it? What version was it on?

One discrepancy I have noticed from the tutorial, is that although I do exactly as directed, when I click hybrid initialize then once it finishes the initialize then in the console it states “warning convergence tolerance of 1.000000e-6 not reached” while in the video tutorial this is not the case.  Also of interest, whilst in fluent 18.2 it gives the same particle trajectory as in the tutorial (done in fluent 15.0) if I try in fluent 17.2 there is a slightly different trajectory and one particle does not get stuck on the wall like in the tutorial. This is not from me entering any wrong values, I have been through this a number of times now, and repeat the steps exactly. There must be a difference between version, or a parameter not covered by the tutorial that is different between versions, since I still cannot get my wall shear. Just the blue model with a scale from 0 to 0 that I cannot animate for time.. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.. is there anywhere I can download ANSYS 15.0?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.