Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Hexahedral Meshing in meshing helical gear

• fea11
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am not achieving the hexahedral mesh for contacts of gears. I used edge sizing with no. of divisions. And when I used contact meshing, it gets messed up completely

Anyone could suggest improving the quality of contact mesh? @1shan @kkanade

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      You mean like this?
    • fea11
      Subscriber
      Hello Peter, I was opening the file in Ansys2020 R2 but wasn't able to do it. Can you tell me which version have you used?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I used ANSYS 2021 R1.
    • fea11
      Subscriber
      Would you please explain about how did you create that cut along the plane of teeth and also split the teeth from the body? I tried but wasn't able to create such clean geometry. Also, I want to know because I have to use different helix angles and different geometries, where I can do it easily without spending much time cleaning the geometry.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I created 3 points. One point on the tip of the tooth at the top, one point at the tip of the tooth at the bottom and one point on the center axis of the gear. I used those 3 points to create a plane. I used the plane to split the solid.
      If you build a parametric model where the helix angle is a variable, you can extrude a surface, which represents the cross-section of a segment of the gear, on that helix angle, you won't have to make those planes and cuts, they will just be the natural face of the line that extrudes along a helix.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.