Electronics

Electronics

HFSS Parametric Sweep Post-Processing with Primary/Secondary Boundary Conditions

• Karthik R
      Administrator

Hello,

Posting this question on behalf of a user.

I am simulating a single period of a periodic structure (a periodic waveguide) with primary/secondary boundary conditions and sweeping the phase on the second boundary to get a plot of the dispersion curves as a function of the swept phase.  There are a few quantities I would like to extract from this simulation at a particular phase including the complex-valued electric field, the electric field's phase along the beam tunnel axis, and the power through the beam tunnel's cross-section.  The issue I'm running into is that these values are functions of the phase advance in space (i.e., k*z) across the periodic waveguide, but the HFSS stack calculator's definition of "phase" is the phase in time (i.e., omega*t), so I am unable to figure out how to use a specific spatial phase (the phase I swept in the simulation using "Optimetrics") in my calculations.  The swept phase is a project variable I defined and when electing to sweep it parametrically, I do click the "Save Fields" box under the "Optimtrics" menu.  For this reason, I do believe the information I need has been calculated, I just cannot figure out a way to extract it correctly.  I have been struggling to find an answer in the HFSS user manual, as well.

I found a way around this issue by not sweeping the phase, but instead, by choosing a single phase and running an entirely separate simulation; however, this is incredibly time consuming and inefficient.  I need to be able to extract this data/perform the aforementioned calculations for a number of discrete phases.

Any help/suggestions regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated!

• kuhnk
      Subscriber

I am having the issue described above.  I was unable to post it myself as I am having trouble with the Ansys Learning Forum, so I thank Karthik for posting it for me!

• James Sherman
      Ansys Employee

Hi Kuknik,

HFSS is solving a finitie element solution for the complex phaser vs frequency.  Phase is a post-processing variable and can be cahnged to show new fields in the geometry.

After solution in HFSS you can change the source excitation phase in post porcessing through the HFSS menus:

HFSS > Fields > Edit Sources

Once the new excitation phase is set, the complex phaser solution in the fields calcuator will be updated to the resultant fields for a specific phase excitation.  This way, you don't need to run a new simulation for each phase.  The discrete sweep can be used o solve at specific frequcies where you want to save the fields and do phase excittion post-processing.

Jim Sherman

Ansys

• kuhnk
        Subscriber

Jim,

Thank you for the information!  I apologize for the late response; I have been very busy and I am working on implementing your suggestion now.

- Kyle

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.