Electronics

Electronics

HFSS: Port on a microstrip without a ground plane.

• Hyperion
      Subscriber

How might I implement a port on a microstrip that does not have a ground plane along the entire bottom surface of the substrate? I'm quite new to HFSS and don't know exactly what to use. I'm trying to get the field patterns and S parameters for an RFID antenna. It has two ports, and it's possible that one is meant to act as the ground point and the other as the active portion, so I have tried putting a lumped port across the two and a voltage source across the two as different options. Neither seems to work, but it may also be due to a lack of understanding of the needed integration lines (I seem to have a hard time finding what exactly they describe and how to set them up).

• Anchal Singh
      Ansys Employee

May I know how you provide a return path for the signal if there is no ground plane? You must have a ground plane in your design not necessarily at the bottom of the substrate but it may be there in the same plane where the active portion of your design lies.
      You may follow the course Ansys HFSS Port Types - ANSYS Innovation Courses to have a better understanding of ports types in Ansys HFSS.
      Hope this helps
      Thanks
      Anchal
    • Hyperion
      Subscriber
      Hello Anchal This antenna has two ports, one of which is a feed-in and the other end of the lumped port is on the other port. Thanks for referencing those courses - unfortunately I'm still having no luck.
      H
    • Hyperion
      Subscriber
      Hello AncSingh This antenna has two ports, one of which is a feed-in and the other end of the lumped port is on the other port. Thanks for referencing those courses - unfortunately the antenna simulation still does not match what is expected. Below is a simplified version of the antenna I'm trying to test.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.