Fluids

Fluids

Hi guys I am trying to model additive manufacturing in CFD

• sai123lesh
      Subscriber

I am trying to simulate the melt pool for LPBF but I don't know how to incorporate the powder bed to Ansys  any guidance will be helpful regarding the same and using User-defined Functions

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

Hi Sai. You cannot create a powder bed in Ansys. You will have to create the powder bed in some other software like LIGGGHTS and import the particles' radii and coordinate in FLUENT to create a powder. You have to add different source terms in the N-S equation and Energy equation using UDFs.

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

I am not an expert, but can check if this tutorial example can be used as a reference? See how the fluidized bed is set up. Chapter 24: Using the Eulerian Granular Multiphase Model with Heat Transfer (ansys.com)

If you are not able to access the link, refer to this forum discussion: Using Help with links (ansys.com)

If this doen't work for you, let's wait for experts to pitch in. 

Nikhil

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I've only been off a week.... :)  

Both approaches will work, it depends on what you want to acheive. For @Dubley92 's method you can use VOF with the solidification/melting model to avoid the UDF part, but you may want to review how the VOF model works before trying it: you're going to need a big computer & parallel packs. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.