Photonics

Photonics

High Refractive Index Thin Film Simulation (Low Refractive Index Substrates)

Subscriber

Hello, my job is to simulate a high refractive index film, the refractive index is 500, the substrate refractive index is 1.4, and the working band is 200um. Simulation area mesh setting 'Auto non-uniform'. The running memory is so large that my computer cannot perform calculations. Since the minimum meshing depends on the minimum wavelength in the material, 'Custom non-uniform' will be considered by me. Looking for more ways to set up 'Custom non-uniform'. (The content on the official website is so little) Thank you very much for your reply.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

I believe this question has been replied. As this refractive index is extremely large, and source is so broadband, large memory requirement is expected.

What you can do is to choose a high performace computer or a clode. Customer non-uniform mesh does not help you to set up the simulation with less memory, without sacrificing simulation accuracy.

The only way to save memory is, if the light travels only longitudinally without scattering/diffraciton to lateral, you can use the “custom non uniform” mesh to release the required lateral mesh size to mesh density of 6 or even smaller to 5. But it still needs extra-ordinary memory due to large refractive index and broadband of 200u,.

If it is a thin film device you can simply use stackrt:https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034406254-stackrt-Script-command

If it is metal, you can simplify it to be PEC as suggested before. This is because its reflection is close to 1:

(500-1)^2/(500+1)^2.

Subscriber

thank you for your reply.

Hello, can a pec material set its index of refraction?

Can pec also set 3d materials?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

PEC has 100% reflection so there is no any need to set its refractive index. Internally it uses 707(1+i) as its refractive index.

PEC can be 2D, 3D as bulk material, and 2D sheet without thickness.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.