Fluids

Fluids

High Roughness (Icing) Model on Fluent

• Tazat
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am doing a CFD simulation of an iced airfoil to check the differences in lift and drag compared to the clean airfoil.

When doing the Iced airfoil Fluent Setup I am trying to implement the High Roughness file that is given by the ICE3D program but can't succeed in doing so. Does anybody have any tips in how to use this High Roughness Model from the ICE3D Roughness File?

Many Thanks,

Tomás

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      please add more information
    • Tazat
      Subscriber

Thank you Amine,

I am doing a 2D Fluent Simulation of an airfoil. I was able to do that successfully and get a full polar of the rough airfoil (In the boundary conditions of the wall I placed a roughness of 0,0005m).

Now I picked one of the simulations at a certain angle of attack (6,5 degrees) and ran it in FENSAP-ICE to get the Ice shape that forms on the airfoil. I was also able to get the result from that simulation. 

Next, I picked the Airfoil with the Ice on it (FENSAP-ICE already outputs a mesh that it's displaced in order to include the ice) and tried to run it in another FLUENT Simulation. This time, instead of choosing a roughness value in the boundary conditions of the wall, I am trying to insert the roughness file that is given by the FENSAP-ICE simulation. (https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v195/flu_ug/flu_ug_sec_bc_wall.html%23flu_ugbook_shd_1s5_qx) (link to this part on the user manual). I am able to read the profile, just as it is stated in the user manual, and run the Fluent simulation.

The problem is that the Fluent simulation results of the Iced AIrfoil are very odd. The Iced profile actually has a higher CL and lower CD as compared to the standard rough airfoil that I obtained in the first place.

Do you know if I might be doing anything wrong in this procedure?

Many Thanks,

Tomás

• Tazat
      Subscriber

The problem has been solved... Thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.