General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Topics relate to Mechanical Enterprise, Motion, Additive Print and more

Higher compliance value in topology optimization compliance minimization problem

• Kushal Joshi
      Subscriber

Hello All,

When I perform a compliance minimization objective topology optimization, the compliance value at the end of the optimization is higher than initial. As far as the topology is concerned, it looks good but the objective is minimization but the value is more than the initial. Why is this happening? How to avoid it? Is it the local minima problem? Here is a screenshot of the optimization output. 

I am using Ansys 2022R1 version. 

Regards,
      Kushal Joshi

• John Doyle
      Ansys Employee

It might be related to the influence of the response constraints.  Minimizing complience is the objective, but the response constraints also are influencing this.  Perhaps this picture below represents what you are seeing, where 'f' is the objective function and 'h' and 'g' are response constraints.

• Kushal Joshi
        Subscriber

Thank you Mr. Doyle. That explains everything. 

• Kushal Joshi
        Subscriber

Hello Mr. Doyle,

Does this mean that the optimizer prioritizes the constraint more than the objective function in this case? I am trying to minimize the compliance of a structure while constraining it to volume reduction of 50%. So the objective function after the optimization process in the compliance value of the new design with lesser volume? Is that right?

Regards,
        Kushal Joshi

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.