Fluids

Fluids

Hold velocity for one timestep

• Pedro Alves
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm using the DPM model and want my particles to reflect one radius away from the wall of the domain. To achieve this an udf is called to calculate the particle velocity after collision (following the example in the UDF manual). The issue is that the particle tracking will proceed to the next iteration and override the velocity value calculated in the udf. Is it possible to hold the particle velocity constant for the next timestep and make the particle tracking only update the particle position?

Thaks in advance

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You might try setting the particle velocity whatever velocity you calculate in DEFINE_DPM_SCALAR_UPDATE.

• Pedro Alves
        Subscriber

Thanks for the reply, DrAmine!

I use DEFINE_DPM_SCALAR_UPDATE to set the particle velocity that i calculate, but then the particle tracking "solver" will override that, i.e., the velocity value that I calculated is not used to update the particle position, instead, a new velocity is calculated by the particle tracking and used to update the position. So I was wondering if there's a way to make the particle tracking only update the particle position but not its velocity.

Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.