Fluids

Fluids

How can I draw power co-efficient vs TSR graph for a wind turbine simulation?

• mmt
      Subscriber

I am doing a 2D transient simulation of a VAWT using a sliding mesh model. I am stuck with graph plotting. How will I calculate the power co-efficient? I know all the formulas but which value will I take from the simulation-generated moment values? I have been searching for a long time and now I have to submit my work. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello It looks like you had created another question related to this. I'm posting the link to that question here.
      How should I take moment/moment co-efficient generated values to calculate power co-efficient? ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum
      To answer your question, since you are running a sliding mesh transient simulation, you will obtain a time-varying moment because of how the lift and drag forces vary as your turbine blades rotate. To understand your results better, please see the following course on our AIC platform (Part 1 is using the MRF approach and Part 2 is using the Sliding Mesh approach). The obtained moment vs. time curve is likely going to be periodic (because the turbine is rotating at a constant angular velocity).
      Verification & Validation ÔÇö Lesson 6 - ANSYS Innovation Courses
      I'm not an expert at Wind Turbine, but can you not estimate the time-varying power (based on the data obtained from one complete rotation) and then perform an average to obtain the desired value you are looking for. A wind turbine expert may wish to chime in if I'm thinking about this correctly.
      Karthik
    • arz25
      Subscriber
      hi mmt
      Like you, I'm doing the same thing, but I still do not understand how to draw cp versus tsr.
      I also watchedsDr. Rajesh Bhaskaran videos but nothing was said for post-processing
      pls .help me .
      thank you.

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello One simple way of obtaining this would be to obtain the wind speed at each location along the blade as a function of the radial distance. Once you have this data, you can use any simple analysis tool such as excel to estimate the TSR as well as the corresponding power at any given radial location. You may also need to export the Moment values from your simulation run. Would this solution work for you?
      Karthik
    • mmt
      Subscriber
      Sir Thank you very much for your reply. I have followed the link you provided earlier and have replicated parts 1 & 2. Then I tried to do the same with my geometry but unfortunately, I am facing another problem now. The Cp value keeps increasing for all TSR (I have varying TSR by putting different angular velocities for the turbine). Instead of getting a bell-shaped curve, I am getting an ever-increasing shape. I have created another question. I'll be very grateful if you have a look.
      Thank you.
    • mmt
      Subscriber

I would have written in detail but looks like I haven't been able to solve my problems yet, so I am unsure of the accuracy of my process. I'll let you know once I succeed or if you are interested, we might look into the problem together.
    • mmt
      Subscriber
    • arz25
      Subscriber
      Hello
      dear Kremella
      Thank you for your reply.
      As you said, the amount of wind speed is related to the radial distance, the diameter of the rotor is constant, and in the vertical axis turbine, the blades are located at a constant distance from the center. Assume the wind flow is constant. We have a constant value for TSR if the value of the momentum coefficient reaches a maximum and a minimum and repeats this value in each cycle.
      My question is, should the momentum value be averaged?
      thank you.

• arz25
      Subscriber
      Hello
      I'm sorry, I've been editing my article for a while and I did not have time to visit the site Yes, I agree that we should solve the problem.
      I've seen a lot of videos in this area, but usually the details are not told, and the important thing is the relationship between wind speed and rotor rotation, which in this analysis requires writing a user-defined function or using 6 DOF, but use Constant rotation speed can also provide relatively good results along with simplicity.

• arz25
      Subscriber
      Hello
      I'm sorry, I've been editing my article for a while and I did not have time to visit the site Yes, I agree that we should solve the problem.
      I've seen a lot of videos in this area, but usually the details are not told, and the important thing is the relationship between wind speed and rotor rotation, which in this analysis requires writing a user-defined function or using 6 DOF, but use Constant rotation speed can also give us relatively good results along with simplicity, if you got the information in this regard, I would be grateful if you could help me.Excuse me if I do not speak English well

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.