General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How can I Implement new Non Linear Material properties in ANSYS ?

• Hoosein86
      Subscriber

Hello,

I want to define a non linear Material in ANSYS , (not plastic!), but It has to have almost stiffness like steel and have a nonlinear behavior.

where can I find Material Properties in Plastic part of Hooke's Law and how can I insert in ANSYS Engeeniring Data?

I really be appreciated if you give me some information about this Issue.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please elaborate on the nature of the non linear behavior of this material.

Hooke's Law defines the linear portion of the material and is implemented in Engineering Data under the Linear Elastic category and is typically Isotropic Elasticity which requires the Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio.  If you use a similar value of Young's Modulus to steel, then you will have  similar stiffness as steel.

• Hoosein86
      Subscriber

Thanks for your answer.

How can I find non linear Material Properties value?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Do you mean hyperelastic? You have to say what kind of non-linear behavior you want.

• Hoosein86
      Subscriber

How many  non-linear behavior we have?

I just know Hyperelastic

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

A lot.  Expand all the categories in the Engineering Data toolbox, they are nearly all non-linear.

• McKivitz
      Subscriber

I too am trying to apply a non-linear behavior to a steel component that has been heat treated(carburized) giving it a much higher yield strength.  Is there anything in the ED toolbox that I'm missing short of creating a stress strain curve?  thanks. 

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

You could use the Structural Steel material from the Engineering Data toolbox and change the value of the Yield Strength manually. But this would only give the behavior till the Yield Stress. If you want to simulate the behavior beyond that point, you would need to add and define some type of Plasticity behavior. Biliear Hardening only requires an additional Tangent Stiffness Modulus, as opposed to data for an entire stress-strain curve.

Hope this helps,

Sai

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.