Fluids

Fluids

How can we calculate the volumetric flow rate of the impeller in a mixing tank?

• aishum96
      Subscriber
      Hello all,nAs a part of my year project , to study the hydrodynamics of mixing tank(batch type operation) with Rushton turbine impeller I have to calculate the FLOW NUMBERnFlow number = Q(volumetric flow rate) /n*d^3nHow can i do this in ansys? nI have tried the method of calculating the vol. flow rate from reports------- surface integrals-----vol. flow rate----impellernBut this method is giving the flow number as 0.18, where as it should be around 0.75 to 1.nnPlease help me out!!
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      How is the number defined in an experiment? You'll probably need a combination of surfaces and report functions to do this, but you also need to use the same approach as we would experimentally. n
    • aishum96
      Subscriber
      In many reference publications flow number is used to define the pumping capacity of the impeller, but im unaware of the exact procedure(step wise)...could any one please mention them, i would be very grateful. Thankyoun
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you Google impeller flow number you may be surprised what is out there. nAlternatively, I suspect either Perry or Coulson & Richardson will have it defined somewhere. n
    • aishum96
      Subscriber
      Dear sir, my doubt is how do we calculate Volumetric flow rate in a batch reactor, in order to calculate flow number using ANSYS FLUENTn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Same way you do in the experiment! I suspect it'll be a function of the velocity somewhere near the impeller, my text books are in the office so you'll have to wait until June for me to look at those. n
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.