General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How deal with conflicting BCs at corners of a footing?

• prakhars962
      Subscriber

Following is a strip footing that may be idealized as a plane strain problem.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Nodes on the right edge have X = 0.Nodes on the bottom edge have Y = 0.nThe node in the corner has both X and Y = 0. nWhere is the conflict?.
    • prakhars962
      Subscriber
      I was wondering if I can apply BCs by selecting the edges.nHowever, if I'll apply BCs by selecting node then I've to reselect nodes for my BCs as I change my mesh.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nYes, you can apply the BC to the geometry edge, which has the benefit of automatically applying to nodes from any mesh update.n
    • prakhars962
      Subscriber
      I initially did that and got this error.nThat is why raised this question. I can't see the solver output, otherwise I could identify the problematic nodes.n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nYou can see the solver output by clicking on the Solution Information folder.nWhat version of ANSYS are you using? You may have made some mistake. There is no issue applying BC to edges in this Plane Strain model in the current version.nn
    • prakhars962
      Subscriber
      I am using 2021 R1 with solid analysis toolboxes not the academic. Can you share the file? So that I can figure out my mistake.n
    • prakhars962
      Subscriber
      Thanks a lot. I saw your figure, and found that there was a problem with my geometry. I used edge split and its working fine now. Thanks a lotn
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.