3D Design

3D Design

How do I get deformed geometry

• bamidoao
      Subscriber

How do I get a deformed geometry from Static Structural to be used as my fluid domain in FLUENT?  Peteroznewman answered the question in the link below. But the problem is that I cannot find FE Modeller in my ANSYS 19.2 software. Can anyone help me out? 

Below is the link where peteroznewman answered it

https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-get-deformed-geometry/

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

In the student version I'm not sure, but you can read stl's into SpaceClaim. The issue is that you'll have more than 300 faces which is the Student limit. One option will be to read the surface into Fluent Meshing, but you'll not be able to use the workflow. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

As rwoolhou says, you can export the STL from Static Structural and import that into SpaceClaim.  Even if you are on the Student license, you can open an STL with more than 300 facets because the limit is on faces not facets.  Then you can create surface patches that follow the facets. Once you have covered the entire facet body with surfaces, a solid body will be created. Here is an example.

If you are on a full license and not a limited Student license, then you can convert the facet body to a solid body immediately, but you might get a better mesh in FLUENT if you do the surface patches anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.