Preprocessing

Preprocessing

how do I mesh the following cooling fan?

Tagged: 

• neal312000
      Subscriber

I have subtracted fan blades from fan case using Boolean. I used body sizing of 2mm but still mesh around the edges of the fan blades and on the surface of the fan case has a skewness of greater than 0.95 and orthogonality of less than 0.01. I am trying to simulate the working of hot end in a 3D printer. But with this quality of mesh I am not able to simulate how the cooling fan will cool the hot end in ansys fluent.

Size of fan case is 28mm in diameter and 8.27 in thickness. I have attached the bad mesh and the whole fan case picture for reference

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Please give sizing to faces of thickness of the blades. Use size = thickness of blades. nPlease check following videosnnAnsys Meshing Sizing:nRegards,nKeyurnHow to access Ansys Online Help DocumentnHow to show full resolution imagenGuidelines on the Student CommunitynHow to use Google to search within Ansys Student Communitynn
    • neal312000
      Subscriber
      I have applied size equal to 0.11mm which is the size of the thickness of blade. I have used proximity and curvature in advanced sizing function. But still the skewness is more than 0.95n
    • neal312000
      Subscriber
      I have given the sizing to faces of thickness of the blade to 0.11mmn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      How close is the fan to the surrounding volume? If the gap is small you'll need to significantly reduce the cell size. n
    • neal312000
      Subscriber
      The fluid domain is 25 mm aways from the fan. The fan case is 1 mm away from the fan blades. I am using a cylindrical fluid domain. Decreasing the elements size less than 0.11mm isn't possible due to the computational power of cpu. Time taken to mesh the model is too long.n
    • neal312000
      Subscriber
      Thank you rob , my fan case surface was 0.01mm from the fan blades which was causing the mesh to be skewed.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You're welcome. You'll need to fix the skew and resolve the blades (and rest of the domain) otherwise the results won't be much use. n
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.