Materials

Materials

How do I parameterize a User Defined RVE?

• mbenn
      Subscriber

I am trying to determine the relationship between a design parameter (in this case the diameter of the cylinder cut outs, see picture) and the resulting material properties. I was originally just setting all of these models up by hand in mechanical and doing the math myself to find average Young's modulus and Poisson ratio, but then I found Material Designer. However, the only way that I have found to use a User Defined RVE geometry was to copy and paste a body from SpaceClaim (as suggested in

" rel="nofollow">
      ). This means that I can't (a) import parameters from a CAD model (only in Design Modeler) and (b) I can't iterate over multiple diameters. Am I missing a step in Material Designer that allows me to work either with Design Modeler (so I can import dimensions) or to import data from a Geometry or Parameters cell?

• John Doyle
      Ansys Employee
      Hi MBenn:nCould you use Variable Material Solver to parameterize the feature of interest and solve for multiple design points? nSee Section 2.5 of the Material Designer Online Doc. nRegards,nJohnnn
    • mbenn
      Subscriber
      The problem is that I can't import a parameterized model, so there are no parameters over which to iterate. My plan was to use this tool, but I can't get the setup right. I was able to use this tool with other types of Material Designer RVEs, just not for User Designed RVE.n
    • mbenn
      Subscriber
      Are there any ways to import parameterized Design Modeler files into Material Designer? I have had success running variable tests on different types of Material Designer RVEs, just not for User Designed RVEs. n
    • John Doyle
      Ansys Employee
      I confirmed that for user defined RVEs, the only available parameter in a variable material analysis is temperature (provided that at least one of the constituent materials is temperature dependent).nCurrently, we don't support geometric parameters in a variable material. nWhat you should be able to do, is to define these parameters on WB level and run DP studies.n n n
    • mbenn
      Subscriber
      Oh I see. Do you know if this is something that will be added in future iterations of the Material Designer? n
    • drevier
      Subscriber
      Bump because I'd also like to be able to do this and would like to know if it is on the roadmap for MD.n
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.