Fluids

Fluids

How does the “Loosely Coupled Conjugate Heat Transfer” function work?

• simone_paccati
      Subscriber

Hello everybody,

I am simulating a very simple case to verify the "Loosely Coupled Conjugate Heat Transfer" function which has been introduced in the latest Fluent version (I am using the 2021R1). On the user guide, the following is reported: "With this approach, the coupled fluid / solid interface is replaced by boundary conditions: the temperature boundary condition from the solid zones is then assigned to the fluid domain, while the heat flux boundary condition from the fluid zones are assigned to the solid zones". However, it is not handled automatically since when I activate this function, the solid boundary condition at the fluid / solid interface switches to an adiabatic condition (heat flux=0) whereas the fluid one switches to a constant temperature condition (300 K as default).

How can I assign the right boundary conditions (temperature from the solid zones assigned to the fluid domain and the heat flux from the fluid zones assigned to the solid domain)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Simone

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello Are you solving a Transient problem? What is your coupling frequency and time period
      What are your initial conditions for the simulation?
      Karthik
    • simone_paccati
      Subscriber
      Hi Thank you for answering my question.
      Yes, I am solving a transient problem, employing a solid time-step of 0.001s and a fluid time-step of 5e-05 and setting 10 fluid time-steps as coupling frequency in the Loosely Coupled Conjugate Heat Transfer panel.
      The simulation starts with a flushed SBES solution for the fluid domain and with a uniform temperature initialization for the solid one.
      Simone
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.