General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How I can analyze Shape Memory Effect (nitinol) in Workbench>Static Structural?

• lincs2k9
      Subscriber

I want to analyze shape memory effect in Workbench>Static Structural. I take help from ansys demonstration guide of shape memory alloy thermal effect. In cahpter 40. spring actuator of shape memory material nitinol. From this link:

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v195/ans_tec/tecsmatesimuthermal.html?q=shape%20memory%20effect

But in this demonstration here use Mechanical APDL. I want to do it in workbench. So, I add nitinol material in engineering data. Add shape memory effect and superelasticity data. During analysis, suppress superelasticity data. As I want to check thermal effect and elasticity, so I use shape memory effect. According to demonstration, I add material properties, made a spring using SolidWorks, Give force, fixed support and also thermal condition. Analysis is 3 steps process according to demonstration. Steps output should be like this-

The top of the spring actuator is fixed, and the bottom is loaded with a weight of 100 N (I check several weight). Displacements are constrained in the X and Y directions. (step1) After the spring is stretched by the weight at temperature 250 K, (step 2) the temperature is raised to 400 K to lift the weight, and then (step 3) is reduced back to 250 K to lower the weight.

But It's not working. It's not showing any thermal effect and also no large deformation. it shows-

"The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.  Please see the Troubleshooting section of the Help System for more information."

I did'n understand where I made mistake? How I can get same type result (Demonstrate in chapter 40: Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) with Thermal Effect for spring actuator)  using Workbench>Static structural?

I have uploaded my analysis images in my post for better understanding.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is a post that has SMA in Workbench V18.1, which you can open in any later version.  Does this help you resolve your problem?

Keep in mind that ANSYS staff are not permitted to open any attachments, so you need to insert images into the post (using the Insert Image button above) of everything you want to show them.

• lincs2k9
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply. I am checking the post you have mentioned. The attachment has all image files. There have several image files. So, I attached with a zip file. I attached here the image files seperately.

• lincs2k9
      Subscriber

I got help to find SMA analysis from your referred post. But still I face some problems. I get those error messages. What I have to do to solve the problem?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.