Electronics

Electronics

how slot fill factor by Rmxprt auto design assigns 8000%

• ymore
      Subscriber

Hi,

while building a Maxwell model from an Rmxprt auto-assigned slot fill factor of around 8000% and after running maxwell design I received an error such as FE matrix could not be solved possible reason being unknown error or poor problem setup. does by any means this excess fill factor is causing error or not? Thanks in advance

Yogesh

• ymore
      Subscriber
      to be exact, please see the image attached below
      I am working with 32gig ram and 16 core CPU, also with 1.5TB empty SSD. so the first possible reason can be discarded, I think.
      Wire dia. is from the manufacturer manual mentioned as 17 mm2 areas as
      So what are the possible unknown errors here or excess slot fill factor is causing the matrix to be singular. please recommend a resolution to these errors. Thanks for the help
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee

The slot fill factor of more than 70 to 80% is impractical.
      Rmxprt is an analytical tool and you need to make sure the parameters mentioned in the results>design sheet are making sense before generating a maxwell design.
      Can you share the screenshots of your RMxprt model setup for all the parameters specifically for winding?
      Regards Navya
    • ymore
      Subscriber
      Hi Navya for this particular Rmxprt results I have set up the following in the winding tab
      &
      I left most fields for automatic settings. How does Rmxprt fill slot more than 100%? isn't it supposed in the range of 0-100?
      Does this information from the manufacturer about wire cross-section is correct or am I making a mistake while entering wire dia.?
      Thanks for your support.
      Yogesh

• ymore
      Subscriber
      I have added info as asked
      please comment further
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Which machine type have you chosen from RMXprt Wizard?
      There will be a"Limited Fill Factor" option which will not allow fill factor more than what you set. default is 0.75. see below screenshot
      Can you check what is set for this option in your model?
      If this did not work, we need to check the whole model to figure out what's causing the issue.
      In that case, I recommended you add all the screenshots of the RMXprt setup starting from machine, stator, winding, rotor.....
      Then I can try to replicate the design at my end.
      Note that Ansys employees can't access your simulation files on this forum.

Regards Navya
    • ymore
      Subscriber
      Hi Navya,
      Thanks for answering again. I have attached a pdf for the complete Rmxprt setup here. please check it out.
      Over the weekend I thought this discussion might be closed for further response.
      Thanks for keeping it alive.
      Yogesh.
    • ymore
      Subscriber
      Hey Navya Please see the attachment in the above comment as you asked for. In this design, I used the AFSM1 example inside the Ansys Maxwell library and changed data as per my requirement. It's been a while and I am waiting for your reply.
      Regards Yogesh
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee

If you do not say from where you started the design it will be very difficult to figure out which template you used. Unless you say, you are using the AFSSM1 example, It will be time consuming. So please be specific when you provide the information and make sure you provided all the required information, as we need to answer the questions for many in the forum.
      I have looked at the file you provided. The wire diameter you provided (4.62mm) may be unrealistic in this case. The net area of the slot is around 51 square mm and RMXpert is giving a warning in the design sheet that slot fill is not possible for the performance you are expecting for the machine. I am also not sure if 98 % slot fill you provided is practically possible. Clearly, from the wire diameter, you have chosen No. of conductors required per slot can't be inserted into the slot.
      You can keep the wired dia also to zero in the setup and let Rmxprt figure out what diameter will fit all the required conductors in the slot for the required torque.
      Again, you need to cross-check the diameter auto-generated, whether it is practical or not. Otherwise, you need to play with other design parameters to achieve the desired performance.
      Once you run the analysis setup you need to open the design sheet from results and check the results if everything making sense and then only proceed for creating a maxwell design.
      First and foremost we must understand the electrical machine design subject and the dependency of various design parameters on the machine performance. Other wise it will be difficult to completely design a machine with the required performance.
      Regards Navya

• ymore
      Subscriber
      Hi Navya Thanks for answering, I really appreciate your efforts. Sorry for the limited information from my side. I was using an Axial flux motor template inside Rmxprt and using an example named afassm_1 placed with installation at
      C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\AnsysEM21.1\Win64\Examples\RMxprt\afpm
      I just changed some parameters to adjust the design as per the manufactures manual.
      Thanks for the advice but still can you suggest to me some material for a better understanding of electric machine design. I do have access to ALH and I don't see any courses on Ansys Innovation courses as such. Also, materials on AFPM are limited inside Ansys documentation. It would really great help for me if you could possibly advise me further.
      Regards Yogesh
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Since electrical machine design is a vast subject. It will be difficult to point you to some source. However, you can study the work/books by the following authors.
      M. G. Say for induction motor design
      Jim Hendershot & TJE Miller for Brushless Permanent magnet machines
      In addition, you can search for video lecture series by Jim Hendershot on youtube. It is a 36 video playlist and it is the only comprehensive and best machine design video course available for free on the internet.
      Hope this helps

Regards Navya
    • ymore
      Subscriber

Thank you very much Navya, for your continuous help and support.
      Have a great day.
      Regards Yogesh
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.