3D Design

3D Design

How to achieve a temperature distribution of a solid cooled by forced convection?

• noob_to_pro_soon
      Subscriber
      So far, I can understand the natural convection of a solid very easily, just give some heat (or flux) to a part (or the whole) solid and run the simulation. Besides this, we can control the ambient temperature and heat transfer coefficient. All good!nConsider a change in the situation, let's have an annular cylinder that is liquid-cooled by running water through the hollow cavity and we need temperature distribution of the cylinder in this situation. I tried to simulate this, clicked the Solid Thermal option, established the heat per unit volume over the annular cylindrical material. Now, if I just put a Boundary Condition of Convection at the inner surface, it is basically equivalent to establishing natural convection. It doesn't offer me an option to modify convection fluid's velocity or mass rate but just the convective heat transfer coefficient (so I have to know this beforehand-another thing that worries me). If my words seem confusing, check this video out:
      target=blank>
      He is cooling the casting mold with water but to have the liquid cooling effect, all he did was to add a new convection and enter the coefficient. My itch is that how do I inculcate the extra detail of a liquid flowing with some velocity through the path in my model? This is certainly different than just natural convection.nAnother video: Here at 19:21
      target=blank>
      ) the guy generates a simulation for forced convective cooling inside an electronic enclosure. He claims an inlet velocity and an outlet pressure and gets a forced airflow. Cool! My itch is that how do I get the temperature distribution of the heat sink while the air is flowing through it?nPlease let me know if you suspect some ambiguity in my question, though I have tried my best.nI am using ANSYS Discovery Live 2021 R1.n
  • Naresh Patre
    Ansys Employee
    Hello noob_to_pro_soon nThe analysis involving temperature distribution of the heat sink while the air is flowing through it, is referred as CHT or Conjugate Heat Transfer analysis. This analysis can be performed in the Refine Stage of Discovery 2021 R1 version. Please check out the videos posted on Ansys Discovery Forum at below location to learn more of performing CHT or Conjugate Heat Transfer analysis in Discovery.nhttps://discoveryforum.ansys.com/t/m1hx1nnn
  • noob_to_pro_soon
    Subscriber
    Hey nCan you suggest system requirement to run such CHT analysis. Even when I'm taking a simpler analysis, the software crashes every time I add heat flux to the body. Its just a 50mm X 50mm block with a cylindrical cavity for fluid to run. As soon as I give W/mm3 flux to the volume, discovery live crashes.nAs of now, I have the following setup:nAMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.4GHznMemory: 131072MB RAMnCard name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070nDisplay Memory: 73524 MBnDedicated Memory: 8043 MBnShared Memory: 65481 MBn
  • Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.