Preprocessing

Preprocessing

How to apply cooling in ANSYS?

• Zhen_Hao
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in ANSYS.How do I apply a cooling rate 10°C/min to a solid cylinder, temperature from 1360°C to 22°C?

• Dave Looman
      Ansys Employee
      If you could do that there wouldn't be any reason to do the analysis because you would be specifying the solution. A way to cool down the cylinder without specifying the temperature solution is to apply a negative heat flux on the surfaces of the cylinder. You might need to use trial and error to find the negative heat flux value that produces the desired cooling rate. Another analysis would be to specify convection on the surface of the body to the ambient temperature of 22 degC. That wouldn't produce uniform cooling, but it's the normal way bodies cool down. In any case this would be Transient Thermal analysis with an Initial Temperature of 1360 degC.
    • Zhen_Hao
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much !!!

• iaadelus
      Subscriber
      Please I am trying to freeze some quantity of mud in a tray with an initial temperature of (11.6 degree Celsius) by putting the mud tray in a refrigeration system with a constant ambient temperature of (-10 degree Celsius). I have correctly set up my boundary condition and my mesh is also good. I am solving the problem using the transient thermal analysis in ANSYS. The convection is specified as (-10 degree Celsius) and my initial temperature is (11.6 degree Celsius) as mentioned earlier. However, I donÔÇÖt know why I am not seeing blue on the gradient result plot as the lowest ambient temperature since I am using -10 degree Celsius to freeze the mud but rather seeing the initial temperature as blue when it supposed to be red. I will appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar problem or with experiences. Please see the attached 2D schematic drawing.
      Thanks.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      What material properties are you using for the water?
      Have you included Enthalpy to account for the heat that must be removed to do the phase change from liquid to solid?
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.