General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to apply G loads for the full vehicle analysis (two wheeler chassis)

• tejasr047
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I don't know much about the vehicle dynamics (two-wheeler vehicle) but I am learning the same, kindly some one suggests the good material to learn.

Now I modelled the chassis (two-wheeler scooter) and I am in a complete dilemma how to apply vertical, lateral and axial loads to it? How to fix the suspension properties, how to give the boundary conditions?

I have to know the stresses and deformations that are acting when the vehicle is subjected to bump loads, brake loads, due to cornering and due to acceleration.

I attached the SpaceClaim model of it.

kindly help me with the same.

Proper advice is greatly appreciated.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

1) You need to have a diagram of the total mass of all the major components. For example, how much does the engine weigh and what are the points on the frame where the engine is bolted onto the frame?  How much does the rider weigh?  How much does the fuel tank weigh? The total weight of the model has to equal the total weight of the bike and rider.

2) You need to have the suspension components and the spring forces and rates in those systems and the points where the suspension links and springs connect to the frame.

3) The geometry for the frame needs to be a midsurface model, not a solid model which is what you have now.

• tejasr047
      Subscriber

Thank you, sir, for the reply,

It is for the electric scooter, and the battery casing will be welded to the chassis. Total mass is expected to around 255 kg including rider and pillion rider.

Should I need to model the suspensions? because that is not my area of interest. is there a way to connect it to wheels.

I looked about mid surface models, this is applicable only when all tubes have the same thickness. But mine it is not the same case.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

When the model is complete, the mass summary should show 255 kg.  You will want to know the mass of each major component such as the battery. The weight of the battery will be distributed to the points where it connects to the frame.

How does the force from the wheel get to the frame? Is there a spring?

Each tube is individually midsurfaced. Thicker tubes will have a larger sheet thickness value assigned than thin-walled tubes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.