General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to avoid/deactivate automatically named selections in spaceclaim?

• amando.gallardo
      Subscriber

Hello!

I have an issue when I attatch a new geometry in spaceclaim, everytime i do, a lot of named selections are created in the groups tab.

The thing is that consumes a lot of time to load/update the geometry, and all of them are exported to mechanical so, waiting is really annoying

The file is imported in spaceclaim in .stp format. Do you know if there is any option to deactivate creation of named selections automatically? 

I have looked into general option but no solution yet :/

Thanks!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

After I import an assembly from either a STEP or Parasolid file, I often don’t care about the assembly structure and I sometimes don’t want all the hardware that is in the file, I only want the main solid or sheet bodies. The method I use is to set the selection filter to Bodies, then select all the bodies from the graphics screen I want to keep then right click on the Outline and choose Move to New Component. I give that new component a meaningful name, then I open that new component and save it. Now I can save and close the original file that I opened as I don’t need anything in that. If I later find I missed a body I need, I can open the original file where my named component exists and make that the Active component. Then I can find the missing body, select it and on the keyboard, type Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V to cut the body from the original file and paste it into my named component file.

• amando.gallardo
        Subscriber

Hi Peter!

Thanks for your very detailed workflow, I think could help me to face up this issue. I had skipped setting the selection filter to bodies, that brings light. I will try your method for sure.

😎

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

The Workbench STEP reader is capable of importing Colors and Layers as Named Selections, but I have never seen anyone make use of it. 

• Try adjusting your SpaceClaim Import Options as shown (Named Selections Disabled)
      • Further, can you please describe your workflow?

• amando.gallardo
        Subscriber

Hi Gary! :D

1) I checked the import options on my case, but have the same as your picture.

2) Yup, sure. Having a CAD file in CATIA (.CATPart) I sent to CADdoctor (.drx) which is a software used to "heal" the geometry, because sometimes there are wrong surfaces or edges and so on.

Then, from CADdoctor I export the geometry to a .stp format and this is the file that I open in spaceclaim.

I realized that Named selections (bodies, surfaces, lines) are created in spaceclaim only when .stp comes from CADdoctor, otherwise, having a .stp right out from CATIA it only creates one Name selection (body) which is easier to delete.

Is truth, not all CAD files need to pass by CADdoctor to be healed, but there are some of them do. if not, during meshing phase they gives errors :S

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

OK. We are not familiar with CADdoctor, but maybe it is adding attributes to the STP file, which then become Named Selections.

There may be an output option setting in CADdoctor to disable this. 

If you have a simple generic STEP file that has thse attributes then please upload it. 

• amando.gallardo
        Subscriber

I looked into CADdoctor export options but not much to modify:

Sure, I created a geometry file in CATIA and passed by CADdoctor. What is the best way to upload it Gary? Just pasting the link here?

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

In your list of Named Selection...say for 97862, 97863, etc. 

What sort of entities are these attached to? 

• amando.gallardo
        Subscriber

Those are lines, points, surfaces. The first one (PRD_LB314) is a body

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee

The issue with automatically created Named Selections in SC has been reported as a bug. The developers will be making a change in the future version to allow the user to "filter" Named Selection import as we do for other CAD.

Workarounds:
       - Export to .sat (ACIS) file, then re-import back into a new SpaceClaim model. 
      Or
       - You can shift + select (multiple select) and delete the Selections. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.