January 10, 2023 at 4:51 pmLoic Feukam TakoundjouSubscriber
I want to calculate the losses of a curved waveguide.
After defining the source, I have defined the monitors to give the transmission coefficient at different sections of the curved structure.
The power I get from the monitor placed at the end of the bend is negative and is of the order of e-41 and also has an imaginary part (see screenshot).
Is this a programming error?
How can I deduce the losses from the complex powers I get at the end?
Thank you in advance.
January 11, 2023 at 6:57 pmGuilin SunAnsys Employee
Somehow my reply was not posted yesterday.
There are a few things:
1: negative power means the power flow is toward the negative axis.
2: the data you viewed is the raw power data without normalization.
3: Power is usually normalized to sourcepower transmission - Script command
4:For such bend waveguide, it is better to use FDE in MODE to get the loss contant:
5: you can also use the mode source to get the bending loss: choose "user select" and calculate the mode
Choose PML boundary conditions:
set the bending radius:
specify the wavelength or frequency, then "calculate modes":
For the half circule bending, we do not recommend to simulate it using FDTD. If you really want, please use mode expansion monitor, or better port to get the modal S paramter.
Please write a new post if you have other questions.
January 17, 2023 at 9:19 amLoic Feukam TakoundjouSubscriber
Thank you for the informations, I have followed your instructions for calculating losses
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.