General Mechanical

General Mechanical

How to calculate if Normal Force is within the section?

• myvue
      Subscriber

Hello everyone,

I have carried out Static Structural analysis on a line geometry (beam elements). The applied load is standard earth gravity. I have been asked to figure out if the normal force is within the section of the elements by calculating the eccentricity.

I have searched online, and I have not found anything relevant. Is there a possibility to do something like this in Ansys?

Thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please reply with an image of the mesh with Thick Beams turned on, the direction of gravity, the supports, and the "normal" force result.  Do you mean Force Reaction?  What do you mean by normal?

• myvue
      Subscriber

Hello Peter, I think that by normal force, the resulting force on the structural elements is meant and to see if it lies within the section (to see if it is eccentric and how much). Since there is no option for normal force, I am using axial force in Ansys. I am not sure if this is correct though.

Gravity direction downwards (-Z direction)

4 fixed supports

axial force results

• myvue
      Subscriber

Hello Peter, sorry for my very 'confused' question earlier. You could ignore it. I know it did not make much sense.

But do you know if I am applying 'Standard Earth Gravity' on a structure such as the one above (made out of many parts, but shared topology), does the gravitational load apply on each individual part's centre of gravity? Or how is the Standard Erath Gravity applied by Ansys on a structure above?

Thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, gravity works on all the mass in a model.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.